Have you ever wanted to borrow a book that our library doesn't own? If it's a fairly new release,
ask any staff member for a Reserve Request Card. If we can order the title for you, we will!
What if it is an older book? There's a solution for that, too! You may request an Inter-library loan (ILL).
WHAT IS AN ILL?
To interlibrary loan an item means to borrow it from a participating library outside of our Raleigh County library system.
CAN ILLS BE RENEWED?
Usually, but you must call our reference desk to ask for an extension. Staff will contact the lending library and get a renewal date for you (if granted). *Please call before due date.
HOW DOES THE PROCESS WORK?
1. Fill out and submit an Interlibrary Loan Request form, online.
2. Staff will search for a participating library that owns a copy of the title you want, and will send them a request.
3. If approved, the lending library will mail the book to us for you to borrow.
4. When it arrives here at the library, you will be contacted and the book will be held for you at the reference desk. You will not check the book out on your library card-it is checked out to our library and we have signed it out to you. *If the lending library denies our request for any reason, you will be notified.
5. Please return the borrowed book to the reference desk by its due date. Staff will then mail the book back to the lending library.
6. Failure to pick up a requested ILL or failure to return an ILL may bar you from future use of the service.
WHAT ARE THE RULES?
You may not request ILLs if you have outstanding library fines of more than $25.
You may not request newly released books, any audio/visual materials or any "library use only" books.
Limit two books at a time *each request requires its own form. Once books are returned, you may then request two more.
Effective 5/1/23, there is a $3.00 charge per request. If the item you borrow is returned damaged (or is not returned at all), you will be billed for the cost of the book as determined by the lending library.